DATA4CHANGE Nairobi, Creative Teams
30 May - 3 June, 2019
Venue: Nairobi Garage
About the event
DATA4CHANGE is a London-based non-profit that connects civil society with global creatives, supporting them to tell stories with data and forge real change. Our flagship events are 5-day residential design sprints based in exciting locations around the world.
Since 2014, more than 200 people from over 40 countries have attended DATA4CHANGE flagship events in London, Beirut, Amman and Kampala. Applications are now open to attend our 2019 event, which will be held at Nairobi Garage. We’re very excited to have Code for Africa on board as our event partner.
What we are looking for
We have held a competitive call for applications to identify and select four civil society organisations working on digital rights, internet freedom and/or freedom of expression online to participate in DATA4CHANGE Nairobi. Now, we've opened the call for applications for designers, developers, and data researchers, analysts, and journalists to join their teams and create prototypes for data driven advocacy projects that have the potential to bring about lasting change.
Download the portfolio checklist to help you prepare your application.
We are after people who work as data researchers and analysts, graphic designers, UX designers, web developers and data journalists. Because each creative team only has 4-6 members we are especially fond of people with more than one skill set.
Our events are fast paced, so no matter what role you apply for you need to be someone who thrives under pressure. You also need to love teamwork, because DATA4CHANGE is all about collaboration and skill sharing across borders and disciplines.
The application process is very competitive. On average, more than 20 people apply for each available spot at our design sprints. So make sure to put your best foot forward and spend time on your application. We highly recommend reviewing past events and projects, and watching our video to get a feel for what a DATA4CHANGE event is really like!
Are there any perks for me?
- Travel and accommodation: We cover travel travel and accommodation for all international and non-local participants to the event in Nairobi, Kenya. Although you must purchase your own travel insurance, without proof of that we won’t let you come, safety first.
- Per diem: Participants are also provided a modest per diem to cover additional expenses such as taxis and food.
- Certificate: After the event you will receive a certificate and you will be added to our exclusive network.
- New skills, new friends, new opportunities: Our events are often described as “life changing” and we expect nothing less of our Nairobi event. By attending DATA4CHANGE you will learn new skills and make new friends from all over the world who are as passionate as you about using data for social good. Many people who have attended our events have found new exciting jobs opportunities and collaborators as a result.
- Oh and…: We also promise that you will have a really fun time :)